Monday, May 30, 2011

Period.

One by one, nature cuts our strings and lets us fall to the ground.

Yesterday, someone in my family passed away. She was not very closely related to me. Infact, she was my father's aunt. She used to come by our house every weekend or so before we shifted. All the way from defence(That's a long way). All the way, by a bus. That's a fairly large distance for an old woman to travel. I have never had any close contact with her, but once in my 19 year memory.

     She used to knit sweaters for us. I used to get a maroon or blue one every year. 5 months ago, was the last time I saw her. A 94-year old woman. In a chair. Wrinkled face. Glasses, too big for her old smiling face, that magnified her eyes to hardly the size of small golf balls. We seldom visited her. She happy when she saw us. A smile passed over her face, though I could see the pain behind the smile. My parents went and hugged her and tears rolled down from her eyes. I do not usually feel sentimental nor emotional, but I felt my eyes water my lashes. That was enough to make me realize how much she loved us.

     The world doesn't live that way. The world doesn't love that way. "We hide behind masks.." I never understood the true meaning of these words until now. You and I hide behind masks of shame. You and I hide behind masks of success. You and I hide behind masks of arrogance. We think twice behind expressing our love and appreciation to someone. The world is a different place than it was a century ago.

Her will: Let Shahid (My father) be the one who lowers me in my grave.

'Ina lillahe wa inna elaihe rajaun'

No comments:

Post a Comment